I’m not gonna brag and say ‘My pesto is the besto‘ because that would be incredibly cheesy and probably not even true.
But I will tell you this, homemade pesto beats any kind of store bought pesto by a long shot.
Here’s the deal: If you don’t want to make your own pesto, that’s totally fine.
Sometimes Most of the time I buy the pre made pesto from the supermarket, so whenever I do make my own pesto I make sure I make extra so I can freeze it for later use (smart thinkin’ eh?). Homemade pesto is great in a simple but classic Caprese Salad or in Pasta Pesto with chicken (recipe coming soon!).
This recipe will make about a cup of pesto.
You will need:
- a hand full of fresh picked basil leaves
-3/4 cup (180 ml) of pinenuts
- olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- some lemon juice
- parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese)
- Salt and pepper
1. Grate the parmigiano.
2. Lightly roast the pinenuts in a skillet. Do not add any oil or butter or the pinenuts will burn (I learned that the hard way…).
3. Add the parmigiano, basil, roasted pinenuts, garlic, lemon juice and a little bit of olive oil to a mixing bowl or a food processor.
4. Mix everything together. Keep adding olive oil until you have a thick purée. Add salt and pepper to taste.